What is CAMHS?

The Child Adolescent Mental Health Service provides a range of comprehensive and multi-disciplinary community based services for children and young people in North East Lincolnshire. The teams include psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses and group workers.

Who is it for?

All children and young people up to their 18th birthday who are resident and or registered with a GP within the the North East Lincolnshire area. They can be referred to CAMHS if you have concerns about their mental health and have already received support from other professionals such as the GP, school nurses, counsellors, support workers and family workers.

Young people can also be referred before the professionals above have supported them if they are deemed to be at significant risk and need immediate access to assessment and treatment from mental health professionals. This is done by discussion with the duty line clinician or out of hours by either the police or the Accident & Emergency department at the hospital.

What services do CAMHS provide?

  • CAMHS Core Team (offering appointments a member of the team in the office)
  • CAMHS Crisis Team (visiting young people who are in crisis at their home and occassionally attending hospital)
  • Looked After Children’s (LAC) Team for those young people living in local authority care and in need of a mental health service).
  • Learning Disability Team (working with those young people who have combined learning difficulties and mental health difficulties)
  • Specialist Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) assessment in partnership with other services.

What sort of treatments are there?

There are different treatments for various difficulties, such as:

  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which looks at the link between thoughts, feelings and actions / behaviours.
  • Dialetical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) that helps people to accept that difficult thoughts and feelings can’t always be avoided or changed so helps them to develop ways to tollerate and manage them instead.
  • Group work (DBT & CBT) working in small groups with other young people the above skills are explored and coping strategies developed together.
  • Medication (when other treatments don’t work)
  • Theraplay (a special family based therapy designed to help build relationships and trust between child and carer.
  • Interpersonal Psychotherpy (IPT) looks at how a depressed mood can be caused by our relationships with other people and offers ways of changing these relationships to help with our mood.

The CAMHS Practitioner who completes the assessment will talk to the young person (and parents if appropriate) about the most appropriate way to help them.

How do I get help/who should I speak to?

If you are worried about the mental health of your child or a young person you care for it is important you talk to someone about this. This may be a teacher at school, the school nurse, a social worker if you have one or your family GP. Even if they cannot offer advice themselves they will be able to help you to access support from someone who can.

In an emergency situation contact 999 or go to the Accident and Emergency Department

There are lots of websites and help lines that offer support to parents. Young Minds offer free confidential online and telephone support and advice to any adult worried about the emotional problems, behavior or mental health of a child or young person up to the age of 25 years old. Tel: 0808 8025544

North East Lincolnshire has a parent participation forum