Speak up

Sometimes talking can be difficult, especially when you are feeling unwell or upset.

There are lots of people who may be able to support you such as family, friends and support workers but there may be times when you want to talk to someone who is not so involved in your everyday life or support.

This is when Advocacy Services are useful.

A person acting and speaking on your behalf is called an Advocate. Their role is to:

  • Make sure other people understand and listen to your views and opinions
  • Keep you as informed as possible
  • Act in accordance with your wishes at all times
  • Explore the choices and options available to you

Advocacy may help you if feel you need someone unconnected to you to represent you or to make sure you have all the information you need to make a decision.


Who provides this service?

In Lincolnshire the provider of Advocacy Services is www.totalvoicelincolnshire.org

Do they work for CAMHS?

These people do not work for CAMHS and are there just to support you in a specialist way.

What don’t they do?

Advocates do not make decisions for you. They are not counsellors. They do not give advice but will make sure that you have the right information to make a decision.

When would you use one?

If you are aged 16 or over and using CAMHS or if you are being treated under a Mental Health Act Section (this would be explained to you, if you were) you are entitled to an advocate at any age.